Monday, June 8, 2009

New Calling at Church

I have a new calling at church. I am the Sunbeams teacher. My first day was Sunday and only 2 of my 6 Sunbeams were in attendance - I'm sure due to the summer and it being vacation time. They are the cutest age group! There are actually 12 Sunbeam age children but the Primary split the group so we could have a more manageable class. I'm glad they did this. I forgot that this is the age of still needing to go to the potty and have snacks. This is also the age that is not always easy to understand. One child barely speaks - she can speak but is an introvert. The other child talks all the time! I still need to meet the other 4 children and see how they all fit together.
I'm excited about this calling for several reasons. I have found as I am older that I can have more patience with young children. They are more fun to me now than when I was in my 20s. Also, I'm excited to get the basic of all basics teaching opportunity. This week our lesson was about smelling and tasting - gifts from Heavenly Father. Next week is about feelings. Talk about fun stuff to teach! I can teach and play at the same time! Also, I'm excited because this is the class Rhys will be in next year when he leaves nursery and goes to Junior Primary. Hopefully I will be able to be his teacher then.
On the same day I started teaching the Sunbeams, we were called by the ward's executive secretary to speak in church. Jeff and I were assigned to speak on Father's Day about honoring our fathers in our homes (my subject) and honoring our Heavenly Father in our home (Jeff's subject.) I get to speak first and Jeff told me I have to take up most of the 25 minutes we are jointly allotted. I don't mind though, after doing a public presentation at least once a week for 4 years in school at University of Phoenix, I'm OK with talking in front of a big group. What is even better is that since our ward split last month, there are a lot fewer people we have to face from the podium.
So that's our exciting news for now. Still working on all the labs and tests and such for getting pregnant. Nothing exciting in that department will happen until after our vacation anyway.

No comments: